Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Where Is All The Talent?

Rah Cheer. In the grave yard. People take their talents with them. They've spent a lifetime honing a talent and by god, they'll take it to the grave. Imagine their scintillating literary discussions, their juerga's, their ballroom competitions, athletic endeavers, their music, plays and paintings. All the best talent in the world, right here beneath the frozen crust of earth. What if everyone left one protege, one clue to their talent? Could it actually irradicate much of the crime if people's spare hours were taken up with pursuit of their art? What would it cost older creative people to donate a few lessons to eager young students?
I've danced all of my life but the number of birthdays make me see the writing on the wall. (Plus most of my friends are dead and that's a broad hint!) In spite of the fact that I'm as American as Jimmy Cagney, Flamenco has always been my main dance. Not that I've been a star dancer but after hanging in there for 60 years, I've soaked up enough knowledge to inspire some younger women. And I do. I share my Flamenco knowledge with two talented young women and I also freely share my 30 years of ballroom competition with young dancers.

My love for Flamenco was a gift from gypsies who lived outside of Algiceras, Spain during the Korean War. I accepted their friendship and dance instruction and now it's my turn to pass on the gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment