Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Two Cowboys.....Chance and Rooney

I went up to the ranch today. Fences are sagging, weeds had grown up, it looks sadly abandoned. I guess it really is abandoned, except my neighbor's living there now since his house burned. He keeps the house and yard up but why mend fences when all the critters are gone. Llamas and angora goats used to grace every field and cranny. It was my fiber farm.

Something in my throat wanted to scream but nothing came out. I feel so alone. Everyone is either dead, grown up, moved on or just too busy to visit the ranch. I should have sold it years ago but it's so hard to let go of good memories.

My attention was drawn down the mountain to the network of paddocks, all connected with a thread of fences. Fencing kept my hired hands, Chance and Rooney, doing sweat labor all one summer. Try putting a fence post in solid rock. Good workers, the boys were, but typical for Montana. Work hard all week, get your paycheck, drink or gamble it away and come home broke. It's the cowboy creed.


Where you saw Rooney, you saw Chance. They did rodeoing together, too. Rooney riding the bulls and broncs and Chance being rodeo clown. Chance, with his diminutive stature, stood as high as Rooney's armpit. He'd flash that boyish grin along with his gift of gab and charm the pants off of any gal in the grandstand. The young ladies hung around like bees in a hive but the boys had other vices as priority. I don't mean shades of Brokeback Mountain. Not that. Chance, with a name like that, you know gambling was his. Chance never touched a drop of whisky.

Not so with Rooney. He'd take a bottle over a woman any day. Of course, I didn't say a woman couldn't entice him "with" a bottle. Rooney was so gorgeously handsome, it'd drive the gals into a frenzy of pure lust. Have you ever seen a man so handsome, that your breath stopped somewhere between your throat and your belly button? That was Rooney, with rugged physique to match.

It was one summer on a Friday night when the boys came up to the house for their pay. I knew they were itch'n to get over to "Al's Saloon," the local watering hole. Already that money was burning a hole in their pockets. Not even a small attempt at a scam this time. They usually tried, needing extra cash for a saddle, or a clutch for the pickup, you know scammers. I knew scammers but often I'd go along with them. Pisces are like that. But money was mostly post epso facto, for getting Rooney out of jail for drunk N disorder after a Friday night spree.

Here's what happened when they got to "Al's." It was later described to me at the hospital. Oooppps I'm getting ahead of my story.

To Be Continued

17 comments:

  1. I'm gettin' heart palpitations just thinkin' about that Rooney. I do love the cowboys. Your description of them, though, is just right. There's a reason it goes, "whiskey and wild women." In that order of preference. Love this and am anxious to hear "the rest of the story."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sounding like a very interesting story. Looking forward to seeing what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh..not fair. I have a real love/hate thing with "to be continued" stories. And I do love dem cowboys...even now, at my age! ...pant... ha ha ha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh what characters!! I feel sorry for your ranch though - shame that it's not longer full of llamas and goats. I think it's lovely that you still have it - I just hope that one day it'll be restored to a working ranch!!

    I'm looking forward to the next installment! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wondrous place to me. I would have a hard time selling such a place, too. I love your writing, it's very well done. ;)

    I'm happy to see that you're part of the A-Z challenge, it'll be fun!

    ♥.•*¨ Elizabeth ¨*•.♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! With memories this intense I'm not surprised you don't want to let the ranch go. I could picture Rooney and Chance so clearly in the scenes you described. I'm looking forward to hearing more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whiskey, gambling, and wild women. I wonder if those cowboys also waste money. Waiting for part two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now you have me hooked. I have a real weakness for the American cowboy. Wouldn't want to marry one but to dream about--you bet.
    Looking forward to the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teresa,
    Yup, I think Rooney was just about the sexiest, handsome, whiskey- drink'n, womanizing, redeo'n, scamming cowboy I've ever encountered. I ran into him last summer. That would make another good post. Your observation is correct. With most cowboys, the whiskey comes first. Ha

    Kay,
    Happy to see you again. Nice of you to come by and comment. Until next time.

    Turquoisemoon,
    Thats right, you do like the cowboys. Ain't nothing wrong with that. In fact, it may be something "right" with that. tee hee

    Old Kitty,
    You left such kind words for the ranch. The land appreciates it and so do I. Time passes by and it seems like the blink of an eye.

    Elaine,
    You left a lovely comment. The days when the ranch was running was a colorful page of my book. Memories galore. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elizabeth,
    Thank you for the writing compliment. That means a lot, coming from a published author of numerous wonderful books. Thank you for stopping and following.

    JJ,
    Yup. And is the Pope also Catholic?

    Big D,
    Thank you for stopping and the nice comment.

    Patti,
    You got that right, dear Patti. What would the West be without it's gun-tote'n, bronc break'n cowboys?? They make up a big romantic part of the old West and actually a big part of today's image. To be sure, never marry a cowboy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aha! A cliffhanger! Waiting on part two...
    It's sad when dreams die.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sure have a way of telling a story that I like a lot. Chance and Rooney. How come cowboys always have such colorful names?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cliffhanger!!! I'll be checking back.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now look what you've gone and done! I'm in love with Rooney even though I know there'd be no future in it! Looking forward to part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  15. River,
    Unfortunately a cliff hanger. Too long for one post.

    Su-sieee,
    Cowboys are just old left-over pieces of the rootin-tootin West. Theiy have a certain way of life and I doublt if they'll ever change.

    Karyn,
    Thanks. Yeah.... I know... cliffhangers are kinda bothersome.

    Rosalind,
    Yup, Rooney had that charsima with the ladies... tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sad feeling for you to see the ranch like that. I'm glad you are able to share a story about your cowboys. Going to go read what comes next.

    ReplyDelete